Red Lentil Dahl Recipe
A nutritious dish bursting with flavors and goodness. Best served with rice or alongside curries.
Preparation time: 20 minutes || Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Sunflower oil: 2 tablespoons
- Onions: 2
- Carrots: 2
- Red Pepper: 1
- Mild curry powder: 1 teaspoon
- Ground cumin: 1 teaspoon
- Ground coriander: 1 teaspoon
- Ground cinnamon, half a teaspoon
- Garlic cloves: 2
- Fresh root ginger: 1 small thumb piece
- Red lentils: 200gm
- Chopped tomatoes: 400gm from a can
- Vegetable stock: 600ml
- Lemon juice from half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
First, chop the onions, dice the carrots, deseed and dice the pepper, crush the garlic and peel and grate the ginger.
Heat the sunflower oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat and saute the onions, carrots and pepper for 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften, then add the spices, garlic and ginger to fry for a further half a minute.
Add the lentils, tomatoes and stock, bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes while stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft.
Lastly, stir in the lemon juice and season well prior to serving.