Curried Beef Goulash recipe
A mild, tomato based goulash with melting beef that tastes significantly better when eaten the day after being cooked. Best served alongside rice.
Preparation time: 12 minutes || Cooking time: 120 minutes
- Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- Braising steak: 1kg
- Onions: 2
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Red pepper: 1
- Ginger root: 1 small piece
- Curry paste: 2 tablespoons
- Garam Masala: 2 tablespoons
- Ground cumin: 2 tablespoons
- Ground coriander: 2 tablespoons
- Chopped tomatoes: 2 cans (400gm each)
- Mango chutney: 1 tablespoon
- Lime juice from half a lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
First, dice the steak, slice the onions, deseed and dice the pepper, crush the garlic, peel & grate the ginger.
Heat the oil in a deep saucepan or wok over medium heat and cook the beef until browned, then set aside on a plate.
Add the onions and pepper and cook for about 3 minutes, then add garlic, ginger, spices, beef, chopped tomatoes and bring to boil. Cover and let it simmer over low heat for 90 to 120 minutes, stirring periodically. If it gets too dry, add water as needed, until the beef is soft and cooked through.
Lastly, stir in the lime juice and serve.